Wednesday, April 5, 2023

Days of Yore: It's About Time, Part 3: Time Travel!

"Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. But I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important how we lived. After all, Number One, we're only mortal."
   - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

"Speak for yourself, sir. I plan to live forever."
   - Commander William T. Riker
Star Trek: Generations

Just when you think I'm done talking about time, the time comes to keep talking about it. Though the above quote is not technically from a doctor, it is from fictional time travelers who have deep thoughts, so it counts.

This entry will be a bit different from previous posts on time, as it is not about specific kinds of timekeeping devices, per se. It is about concepts related to time, way back in the days before time travel was invented (which includes today, since as far as I'm aware, time travel hasn't been invented yet, except in the sense that we're traveling through time at a normal pace, always forward).

Image by Freepik


Time Zones

As world travelers when I was young, we went back and forth over the ocean several times. US to Hong Kong. Hong Kong to Philippines. Philippines to the US and back and forth a couple times. Manila to Taipei to Seoul to Bangkok and back. Seattle to London (and train to Paris) and back. At that time, our clocks were not connected to the satellite, and we had to change the time on our watches manually when we got to our destination in a different time zone. If we brought other clocks, we had to change those manually as well. Computers were generally too large to bring on a plane, so we didn't have to change the time on those. While as yet, I've never been to places that are a half hour off from the next time zone over (such as Newfoundland and parts of Australia—though both are on my bucket list!), that could complicate things even more!

A few years ago, I had to turn off my cell phone once I got on a plane. These days, I can leave it on, but have to put it in airplane mode until the nice voice on the intercom says we can take it off airplane mode....and then put it back on airplane mode when we start descent. Once I get to my destination in another time zone, presto change-o, the time has magically updated without me having to do a thing! Satellites are pretty awesome. I'm still holding out for the invention of a teleporter, though! Think of all the money that could save in travel expenses!

Wait a minute...if crossing the International Date Line isn't time travel, I don't know what is! Sometimes when traveling from Manila to Seattle, we have arrived in Seattle before the Manila time that we left. Similarly, going the other way, we lose nearly a day. It makes for a very long day or a very short day.

Daylight Savings
"I've just sucked one year of your life away. I might one day go as high as five, but I really don't know what that would do to you, so let's just start with what we have. What did this do to you? Tell me. And remember, this is for posterity, so be honest. How do you feel?"

- Count Rugen, The Princess Bride

In 1936, President Manuel Quezon instituted a new concept in the Philippines called daylight savings. It only made it to 1937. President Ramon Magsaysay tried again in 1954. Those were, naturally, before I was born. After I was born, but before we lived there, President Ferdinand Marcos tried it in 1978 (source). I don't remember any of that, for obvious reasons. What I do remember is when President Corazon Aquino, the nation's first female president (the Philippines is way ahead of us on that!), observed it in the US and thought it would be a great idea to institute it in the Philippines in 1990. It did not go over at all, as most people didn't understand the concept. Schools moved their start times forward an hour because it was "too early for our children to get up." Whenever anyone wanted to schedule something, people had to know if it was DST (Daylight Savings Time) or RT (Real Time), not understanding that DST has nothing to do with make believe. After some time of national confusion, it was abolished. It has never been used since then, though I see on Wikipedia that it has been proposed a few times.

Here in the US, we have gotten used to setting our clocks forward in the spring and back in the fall ("spring forward" and "fall back"). Similarly to traveling between time zones, our cell phones and some clocks make the change automatically these days, but we still have to change some clocks, such as the stove and microwave clock, and any wall clocks that aren't connected to a satellite. Computer clocks change automatically, as does our atomic clock. As for the clock in my car, while it's possible to change it, I usually just mentally subtract an hour during Standard Time when I'm looking at it. Once we spring forward again, it is once again correct. I love that day, despite losing an hour of sleep!

A few years ago, Washington State, along with a few other states, decided to get rid of Daylight Savings, and our governor signed a bill to approve it. Unfortunately, that requires federal approval, and that has gotten bogged down in red tape, so we still have to move our clocks forward and back. Maybe someday the madness will end?

Hmm...maybe we do time travel twice a year, come to think of it! Also, taking into account time zones, it makes computing the time in another time zone that may or may not observe DST more complicated. These days I just google what time it is in another place...but back in the day, we had to remember and calculate the hours...and consider what time of year it was and whether one or both places in question (here and there) observe DST.

Speaking of the clock in my car (a couple paragraphs up...what can I say...ADHD...), I asked on Monday if that clock takes us Back to the Future. Sadly, the answer is NO! Possibly because, while an amazing car, Luke is not a DeLorean. I've never driven a DeLorean (oh wait a minute...scratch that...my TARDIS takes the form of a DeLorean), but maybe more of them do? Unless...during the Standard Time months, I do have to subtract an hour, so maybe it's like going back to the future? 

Speaking of a DeLorean...
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads!"

- Dr. Emmett Brown, 1985, shortly before the epic voyage to 2015
Back to the Future


 

No comments:

Post a Comment