Tuesday, December 6, 2022

The Sun Sets on Wireless Advocates

Friday, March 31, 2017. I had finished a day of work, and was proud of my accomplishments of the day. I was in a long-term contract position at a medical supplies company, and my performance was better that week than it had ever been. So it was a bit of a shock when I got out to my car and listened to my voicemail. It was my agency alerting me that my contract had ended. No warning, just "Today was your last day." The agency was as surprised as I was, as the feedback from the company they had received had always been positive. There were tears.

Fast-forward a couple weeks. My agency found a temporary position at a company called Wireless Advocates, which managed wireless kiosks in Costco and on military bases. I had done a short-term job there back in 2011, so it was a return of sorts. It was set to last 3-4 weeks, as they needed some help processing orders. April 2017 became May, which became June, and so on... To make a long story short, after multiple extensions to the 3-4-week job, during which time I was trained on more responsibilities than what was originally included in my job description, my manager offered me a permanent position. It was my first permanent job after years of temping. In one previous job, I was told they would have hired me permanent, but that company had recently been acquired, and due to the uncertainty of the merger process, they couldn't promise that it would be long term. (In fact, I worked in three departments as departments relocated to other states.) In my position that I lost in 2017, they even considered me for a permanent position.

So it was that in January 2018, I began a permanent position at the national headquarters of Wireless Advocates in Seattle, working with the most amazing manager I have ever worked with. Our team has been like a family. Through ups and downs and challenges over the years, my manager and team have always been there. We have supported each other, and I have often wondered what I did to be on such an amazing team, where I could get help from anyone, and offer help back when they needed it. I have thrived in this position in ways that have surprised me. I have loved working with customers and associates around the country. In March of 2020, as we were realizing more and more the massive ramifications of the COVID pandemic, our office transitioned to working from home. The new arrangements provided new challenges, but our team maintained regular contact and remained as cohesive as ever. Working from home has also been a surprising blessing as I have been caring for my parents over the past few years. We lost my dad to a stroke last December, just over a year ago, and I have continued to care for my mom since then. It has been nice to be able to be able to assist when they need help during breaks and lunches. When I was done with my work day, I was already home, so didn't need to take time for the commute home. I have loved being able to give my all to my job, while also being available for family when they need help. During this time, I have also learned that I have ADHD, which has been a big help in managing challenges I have faced all my life, but only in the past few years have I started putting it together and gotten checked for it. (It also explains some challenges that I encountered in my previous job, and it would have been useful to know at that time.) My manager has done an amazing job of working with this knowledge, leveraging my strengths and working with my weaknesses. This has challenged me to work harder to be the best I can be.

Enter another shock. Yesterday we learned that the company is closing down. Wireless kiosks around the country are closed, and we at the national headquarters will be here for two more months. This is the second time I have been at a company that has shut down (the previous time was due to the company being acquired by a competitor). I truly feel for all my associates around the country who are now searching for a job. Despite the difficulty of the circumstances, particularly this time of the year, I have been deeply impressed with our management, and our team is becoming even more cohesive as our time at the company comes to an end. Though we at headquarters have a job for a couple months yet, we are starting to search now. During my spare time, I have been working on updating my resume.

I don't know what is on the horizon, but in my experience, shocking endings have led to new beginnings that I never would have predicted. In retrospect, as difficult as it was to lose my previous job, I realize that if I had not lost it right then, I would not have been available at just the right time for this "3-4 week" position that ended up turning into a permanent position working for and with the most amazing manager and team of my career thus far. If it were not for the horrible blow our nation and the world received at the beginning of 2020, we would not have started working from home, and I would not have been as available to help my parents as they have needed more assistance, while still being able to do as much as I have for a job that I love. Of course, that is not to minimize the heavy losses we have all sustained over the past few years. These have been difficult and devastating times for everyone.

My friend Jason Kotecki is an artist and motivational speaker. He had a syndicated cartoon in the newspapers a few years ago called Kim & Jason, with characters loosely based on his wife Kim and himself as children, in addition to other family members. Since 2000, they have waged a campaign to fight the menace of adultitis, that villain that robs people of their sense of child-like wonder and curiosity as they get older. I highly recommend checking them out at escapeadulthood.com. One thing Jason likes to ask is, "Now that this has happened, what does it make possible?" They have had their own set of challenges that at the time were horrifying (you can read about some of them here, here, here, here and here.) His challenge has been a massive help to me in this time of uncertainty and as I reflect back on difficult times that have ended up leading to surprising silver linings.

I don't know what the future holds, but I trust God to lead me, and I look forward to whatever is on the horizon.

I took this picture in 2019 from the roof of our building. At the time I didn't consider how much of an encouragement it would be, but a sunset is a beautiful thing. It symbolizes an end, but as the last rays of the sun paint a colorful canvas on the sky, we know that a new day is coming and the sun will rise again.
I took the following pictures last year of sunrise over Lake Michigan in Sheboygan, Wisconsin. (I call the first one Crouching Sunrise, Hidden Raccoon. Extra credit if you can find the raccoon!) Will the proverbial sunrise that follows the sunset of Wireless Advocates look something like this? Only time will tell, but I look forward to finding out!
To my colleagues around the country, it has truly been an honor and pleasure working with you. I wish you the best as you search for your sunrise. I know whatever companies you work for next will have acquired some amazing new talent that will help them thrive!

No comments:

Post a Comment