Tuesday, December 20, 2022

My Grown-Up Christmas List

I started this blog several years ago, in part to post thoughts on Christmas carols. It's been a while since I've actually posted some, so I thought this might be a good time to do some more.

I find it interesting that my opinion on certain songs and other subjects can change over the course of my life. Take for example "My Grown-Up Christmas List." When I was young, I found the song rather perplexing, and I didn't like it. Though I was never particularly one who actually believed in Santa Claus (though I love the idea, and St. Nicholas was a real person...but that's another subject), I have always loved the magic and wonder of Christmas. One of my favorite parts growing up, in addition to the family time and decorations and everything else, was opening presents on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Part of the excitement was what was waiting for me under the tree - both the anticipation and the joy of opening them. So to listen to a song that lists a bunch of wishes that aren't physical and can't be unwrapped around the tree just didn't appeal to me so much. Of course, I've never had an issue with the concepts mentioned, but to consider them Christmas gifts just seemed odd.

But the older I get, the more I realize how much we need all these things:
No more lives torn apart 
That wars would never start
And time would heal all hearts
And everyone would have a friend
And right would always win
And love would never end
This is my grown-up Christmas list.

Graphic from clipartmax.com


I was born in the late '70s, during the Cold War, shortly after the Vietnam War ended. Growing up in the Philippines in the '80s and early '90s, we went through the turbulence of the assassination of Ninoy Aquino, Ferdinand Marcos' martial law, the People Power Revolution, and multiple coup attempts, during which time it was sometimes dangerous for us to be out in public due to the color of our skin. In 1986, we watched in horror on TV as the Challenger exploded shortly after takeoff. The Berlin Wall fell and protesters were mown down by tanks in Tiananmen Square in 1989. We gathered at school in the early '90s to watch CNN reports on Operation Desert Storm, in which some alumni of our school were fighting. Coming back to the US in 1991, we watched on Channel One in class as they reported on the "Soviet Disunion" as the USSR crumbled into multiple nations. In 1995, a classmate mentioned they heard the Federal Building in Oklahoma City had been bombed, and all lesson plans went out the window as our teacher turned on the news and we watched in horror as a massive chunk of the building was gone and suffering people were everywhere. Shortly after getting up on September 11, 2001, I learned the World Trade Center had been hit and we watched in horror on TV as the second tower was hit. Nearly two years ago, our own nation was rocked by a violent coup attempt that brought back terrible memories from the Philippines in the '80s. We are still going through a horrible pandemic that has claimed millions of lives. Even among the living, it has torn apart families and friends as political differences and conspiracy theories have caused more than just physical death. Ukraine has been defending itself for nearly a year now as Russia continues its unprovoked war. Discrimination and violence against minorities continue unabated, as we hear of shootings almost daily, many of them due to racism, sexism, homophobia, xenophobia, antisemitism, political differences, conspiracy theories, and more. Families at our southern border have been ripped apart in the name of "national security," when what they needed was love and support. The list goes on. Earthquakes, tornadoes, typhoons, hurricanes, and more national disasters have hit around the world. So many lives have been torn apart by war, natural disasters, disease, politics and more.

The older I get, the more "My Grown-Up Christmas List" becomes my plea and prayer for the world. 
As children we believe
The grandest sight to see
Was something lovely wrapped beneath the tree
But Heaven only knows
That packages and bows
Can never heal a hurting human soul
That right there is the story of my life. So many people are hurting. While I still love opening and giving presents at Christmas, I long more than ever for an end to the conflicts, wars, pain, disasters, and more. I long for peace on countless fronts.

Peace would be a much greater Christmas gift than anything that can be wrapped and put under a tree.

The song was written by David Foster and Linda Thompson-Jenner and has been performed by Natalie Cole, Amy Grant, Kelly Clarkson and others. What was once a perplexing song has become one of the most meaningful and timely songs I've heard, and it has been going through my head a lot lately with everything that has been going on. It has become the cry of my heart for everyone to come together, to give and receive love, to open our hearts to the millions of people around us who are suffering.

No comments:

Post a Comment