Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Blood Moon

I wrote this last night to commemorate the "Blood Moon" being completely blocked by the clouds. I realize that in the grand scheme of things, there are much more serious things to be worried about (such as the sinking of the Titanic exactly 102 years before I wrote this), but sometimes I like to get melodramatic and exhibit my parody skills.

This is how the Blood Moon would have looked, 
had I been able to see it. Maybe next time!
Picture from http://www.cliplip.com/cool-blood-moon/

To be sung to the tune of Rodgers and Hart's 1934 song "Blue Moon"...


Blood Moon
© Steven Sauke, April 15, 2014

Blood moon
I tried to see you tonight
I had a dream in my heart
To see th'eclipse on my own

Blood moon
You knew what I went outside for
Excitement can’t be denied, for
You’re what I looked in the sky for

And then there suddenly appeared before me
A sky full of clouds! That’s all I see.
I’d heard somebody whisper, “The moon’ll be red”
And when I looked, it was nowhere to be seen

Blood moon
Now I’m right here, all alone
Without your face smiling down
Without a moon, red or white.

Blood moon
Oh, why must you hide away?
You’re red up there, so they say
But I can’t tell! Stupid clouds!

1 comment: