Wednesday, December 22, 2010

I'll Be Home for Christmas

I'll be home for Christmas. You can count on me.

Really? That's so exciting! I can hardly wait! So much to plan. Let's see, we'll need to prepare the spare bedroom, set an extra place at the table, make sure the Christmas tree is just the way you like it...where to begin?

Please have snow and mistletoe...

Snow in the Northwest can be a bit of a tall order, and the media tend to freak out when it snows...but it sure is fun! I can't guarantee that there'll be snow, but I can always pray and see if the Creator of snow can provide some for us. We could build snowmen and have loads of fun. As for mistletoe, I guess I'll have to see if I can find some. I wonder if they sell it at Wight's?

...and presents on the tree.

On the tree? Not under the tree? So you want me to wrap your presents and hide them in the branches? That's kinda weird. Or do you just want ornaments this year? Maybe that's it.

Christmas Eve will find me where the love-light gleams.

What's a love-light? Is that some kind of lantern? Did you want me to form the Christmas tree lights into the shape of a heart?

I'll be home for Christmas...

I can't wait! I'm bubbling over with excitement!

...if only in my dreams.

Wait a minute. So you WON'T be home for Christmas?! You went to the trouble of sending me a promise that you'd be home for Christmas, only to dash my hopes and dreams. Alas, alack. I'm crushed! No love-light for you! Whatever that is.

---

According to Wikipedia, "I'll Be Home for Christmas" was written by Buck Ram, Kim Gannon and Walter Kent, and it became popular in the early 1940s when Bing Crosby recorded it. A lawsuit ensued when Mr. Ram discovered that Messrs. Gannon and Kent had copyrighted it without him. Such a heartwarming story.

It was born out of the hope of soldiers in World War I that the war would be short and they would be able to come home by Christmas. Sadly, that was not to be, and the dream remained just that. The song was particularly popular during World War II, as soldiers around the world once again dreamed of an end to the war so they could go home to their families. Many would never return, as they bravely laid down their lives. Many were Home (in heaven) for Christmas.

For me, one of the most moving renditions of the song is this one by Josh Groban, including greetings to their families from soldiers in the recent war in Iraq, Afghanistan and around the Middle East. Despite my facetious thoughts above, I truly love this song, and I am deeply thankful for the sacrifices of our Armed Forces throughout the history of our nation. It is thanks to them that we are still a free nation.

***UPDATE (April 6, 2011): Disney's Tangled to the rescue! I think I figured out what a love-light is! Check it out:




1 comment:

  1. Huh. I've always thought this was a dumb song because of the dashed hopes embodied by "if only in my dreams". But I guess knowing the story gives me a different perspective. That's cool!

    ReplyDelete